BEIJING (Kyodo) — China said Wednesday it will cooperate with its neighbors to ease territorial tensions following comments by Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihiko Noda that Beijing’s increased assertion of maritime power is fueling strategic uncertainty.
“China is committed to peaceful development and pursues the policy of seeking good neighborliness and partnership with its neighbors,” Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Hong Lei told a regular news briefing.
Noda told the Financial Times earlier this week that China’s increasing military power in the East and South China seas was creating uncertainty in Japan’s security environment.
Referring to Noda’s comments, Lei told the news briefing that “China’s defense strategy, and military and capabilities have always been transparent.”
Japan said last month its air force had been forced to scramble jet fighters to intercept Chinese aircraft approaching its airspace more than three times as often between April and September period as during the same period in 2010.
The Chinese Defense Ministry responded by calling on Japan to stop intercepting Chinese planes, warning this was undermining China’s national security and disturbing its military drills.
On Monday, Noda and his visiting Vietnamese counterpart, Nguyen Tan Dung, agreed to promote a binding code of conduct for disputed territorial claims in the South China Sea at the East Asia Summit later this month.
Vietnam remains engaged in a territorial dispute with China over the resource-rich Spratly Islands in the South China Sea.
In addition, ties between China and Japan have been strained in recent years over a disputed chain of islands in the East China Sea. The two countries also have struck difficulties conducting joint gas field development in the East China Sea, with negotiations slow to progress after they agreed to explore resources together.
- The disputes in the South China Sea from the perspective of int’l law (philSTAR) (thuytinhvo.wordpress.com)
- Japan, Indonesia agree on need to improve maritime security (Mainichi) (thuytinhvo.wordpress.com)
- Panetta Criticizes China for its lack of transparency, coupled with increasingly assertive activity in the East and South China Seas” (greginsd.wordpress.com)
- South China Sea Conflict? No Way (Diplomat) (thuytinhvo.wordpress.com)
- Asian powers scrambling for regional space (Japan Times) (thuytinhvo.wordpress.com)
- China military rise concerning, but ties will improve: Noda (China Post) (thuytinhvo.wordpress.com)
- Japan, PH step up sea security ties amid China claims (Interaksyon) (thuytinhvo.wordpress.com)
- Beijing in fresh South China Sea warning (upstreamonline) (thuytinhvo.wordpress.com)
- Philippines gets Japan support on Spratlys dispute (Inquirer) (thuytinhvo.wordpress.com)
- DFA hits China over ‘cannons’ statement (ABS-CBN News) (thuytinhvo.wordpress.com)
- US gas find off Vietnam adds to China tension (FT) (thuytinhvo.wordpress.com)